"What is that?" ... "Its a Kettle"

The first time you laugh, the second you smirk but a ? appears in the head. Third time, I am onto it, and then my suspicions were confirmed yesterday when a friend of mine (who had lived in the UK for 3 years) needed to borrow my electric kettle. "I knew you would be the only person that would have one".


I had friend who have thought my electricity in the kitchen was fusing. He hunted down the sound, to say "What is this", "Its a Kettle???". Now Brits, would you not agree you would find it bemusing to have someone to come into your kitchen and question what a kettle is?? This strange machine that sounds escalates to a extent that steam is seen sprouting from the top, followed by a click .... and our 'Brew' is ready.

I bring this to everyone's attention, because the electric Kettle in the UK is as necessary as breathing. There is probably not one kitchen in the UK that doesn't own one, and I find it funny that hardly anyone owns one over here.

Those lessons in our 'Home Ec' class (which leads to me a question of why we have a class called Home Economics?? Why are the economics in a Home relevant to making a quiche or a decent cup of tea?) that water for tea should be served at boiling point ... no you simply cannot warm the water in a microwave.

Many a time has been spent in the 'Brew room' of offices around the land, waiting for our Kettles to boil to produce our favourite drink of the nation. The nation would ground to a halt if we didn't have our cup or tea'. And I bet its the first thing Brit's do when the get back from any holiday "Get Kettle on so we can have a decent Brew". Yes us Brits LOVE our kettles.


No comments:

Post a Comment